If you’ve ever wondered what sort of rail action lies just across the channel then this programme will provide all the answers. The French rail scene offers an immense and distinctive variety ranging from prestigious high speed TGV services to many freight only rural branch lines. Highlights include:-
• Wagon load freight on the move throughout France with two yard visits to Dijon, and Nantes.
• Also featured at Avignon are the new refrigerated swop body flows operated by Chronofroid.
• Both TGV sud est and the more recent TGV atlantic services are sampled, there’s also an exciting TGV cab ride at 300 KPH from Le Mans to Paris.
• Typical present day freight only branch line activity is observed at Paimboeuf with a trip working to Nantes.
• Electrified passenger and freight locations highlighted include Paris to Lyon, and on through the scenic Rhone gorge to Avignon.
• Also the beautiful route from Lyon to Chambery which features international traffic to Italy.
• Other passenger routes include the loco hauled diesel line from Valence to Grenoble, and many varied rural and provincial passenger services.
• One of the most scenic and spectacular railways in France is the line from Villefranche to Bourg-Madame high in the snowy Pyrenees south of Perpignan.
• Another equally unusual survivor is part of the superb metre gauge Vivarais railway from Tournon to Lamastre, which features magnificent steam action on the most steeply graded sections.
• Loco types include:- TGV, Sybic, 1300, 8100, 63,000 & 72,000 plus narrow gauge steam and many others. Plus lots more railway action including many ‘hot spots’ around France which are highlighted in this superbly photographed introduction to French railways. Made with the full co-operation of SNCF.