When British Rail finally abandoned wagon load traffic, and appeared to put every obstacle in the path of any company who actually wanted to continue using their rail freight services, it seemed inconceivable that any form of rail freight renaissance could ever take place – and yet that is exactly what has happened!
The first years under English Welsh and Scottish Railway’s ownership has already seen the biggest investment programme ever to benefit the UK rail freight scene, with huge orders for rolling stock and locos being placed, and well planned new wagon load services already being extended. Each splendidly photographed regional volume features superb line side action from across the entire current rail freight spectrum including freight only branch lines, Enterprise and bulk flow services.
There’s also the unique opportunity to go ‘behind’ the scenes’ and visit customers’ premises to see wagons being unloaded and shunted. Supported by an informative and interesting script from the acknowledged rail freight expert Paul Shannon, Rail Freight Focus is the complete and definitive guide to all rail freight operations today!
• Ayrshire coal – action at Knockshinnoch, Hunterston, and on the Chalmerston & Killoch branches. Also a look at the short term gypsum workings from Hunterston low level.
• West Coast Main Line traffic flows – plenty of scenic action, plus a visit to busy Mossend yard, and the Euro terminal to see the new parcel force wagons being unloaded.
• West Highland Line – lots of lineside action along one of Scotland’s most beautiful railway lines including Enterprise and wagon load services, plus site visits to Alcan, Arjo Wiggins to see wagons being loaded on site. Also a look at Taynuilt & Crianlarich timber loading points.
• Grangemouth oil and container traffic
• Highland Main Line traffic including timber at Birnam & Dunkeld.
• Plus the Aberdeen Enterprise services, grain to Roseisle, & wood from Elgin.
• Other features include coal to Longannet & Cockenzie, also waste traffic to Oxwellmains & a visit to see cement being unloaded at Viewpark.
Created by the same team that made the incredibly popular Rail Freight Today series – it’s your guarantee of exceptional quality.