Steam Railway, the world’s biggest selling steam magazine, is proud to present ‘The Best of Today’s World of Steam’. Sit back and let Editor Nigel Harris introduce you to an hour of the finest steam footage.
The action comes from UK main line and preserved lines, plus the very best of overseas steam. This DVD is a must for all steam enthusiasts.
• East Germany – Featuring the beefy 2-10-2 narrow gauge tank locos in snowy winter conditions on the legendary Harz mountain network.
• Scotland – ‘Black 5’ No. 44767 George Stephenson in action at scenic locations from Fort William to Mallaig.
• Strathspey Railway – Caledonian Railway 0-6-0 No. 828 in action on one of Scotland’s finest preserved lines.
• Ireland – Rural steam in the Emerald Isle features No. 461 on a scenic journey across Ireland from Dublin to Westport.
• Isle of Wight – Archive footage is contrasted with present day steam operations on the Island’s preserved line.
• Mid Hants – Urie S 15 No. 30506 in action – plus double headed Bulleid Pacifics on this famous line.
• China – A visit to the only works in the world still building steam locomotives in any volume.
• Also fabulous main line steam at Zhongwei.
• Ravenglass – Premier narrow gauge action from Ravenglass to Eskdale featuring 2-8-2 River Mite.
• Severn Valley Railway – A visit to one of the UK’s foremost preserved lines where we see Taw Valley. ‘Jinty’ No. 473 83, GWR No. 2857 – and enjoy a cab ride on Hinton Manor.
• Lakeside Railway – Rural steam action in Cumbria on the surviving section at the picturesque Furness branch line from Ulverston to Lakeside, at the southern tip of Windermere.
• Settle to Carlisle – Steam action on the UK’s most famous main line steam route including ‘A4’ Sir Nigel Gresley, and BR ‘Standard (2-6-4T) No. 80080 in the snow.
• Russia – Steam Railway editor, Nigel Harris at the regulator of an ‘SU’ 2-6-2 on the mainline! Also the giant ‘P36’, ‘FD’, ‘L’, & ‘E’ classes.
• West Somerset – Britain’s longest preserved line with No. 75069, ‘S&D’ No. 88 and GWR ‘Prairie’ tanks at work.
• Swanage – Visiting engine Flying Scotsman in Summer 1994 and a look at the extension to Corfe Castle.
• Poland – Mainline steam at the famous location of Wolsztyn – Europe’s last working steam roundhouse – plus narrow gauge operations at Sroda.
• USA – A contrasting look at autumn mainline steam action, including double headed Canadian ‘Pacifics’ in Virginia.
• Mainline Steam – Highlights featuring Duke of Gloucester Clan Line and Blue Peter.