Product Code: DEF-SPRT

The Defiant Spirit
Restoration And Replica Landmarks

£20.00

About this title

This programme was made with joint co-operation of Railscene, Stirling and Railfilms Ltd. Built in May 1939 and named Ogmore Castle No.5080 was renamed Defiant in January 1941 in honour of the Boulton Paul fighter aircraft which played a part in the Battle of Britain. The locomotive served the Great Western Railway and British Railways until withdrawal in April 1963.

Defiant which had covered more than one million miles in revenue earning service, was dispatched in February 1964 to Barry scrapyard, where it languished for a decade, until rescue by the Birmingham Railway Museum, in August 1974. The museum bought the locomotive as a source of spare parts for its working Castle No.7029 Clun Castle, but in 1985 there was a change of plan and restoration work on Defiant commenced in January 1986. Working in partnership with the Manpower Services Commission, the locomotive was returned to mainline running order in 8 months on outstanding achievement for a task which normally takes several years.

This programme follows Defiant's progress from scrapyard condition to its first steaming at the museum in July 1987, and its subsequent return to mainline service. Accompanying archive material depicts Castle at work in Western Region days, while modern footage shows Defiant at work on BR mainline specials - including exciting footplate sequences.

The Museums other activities are also outlined, and outings by Clun Castle and LMS jubilee No.5593 Kolhapur are also featured, together with a royal visit by HRH Prince Charles.

Video

Runtime

DVD Runtime:
26
Minutes

Related Titles